Dreams

It's long so if you don't want to read it that's fine...

My grandpa is a University of Illinois alumni and for as long as I can remember he has been sing us the fight songs (I've known the fight song and loyalty since I was about 5 probably) and telling us about the school trying to convince us to attend U of I for furthering our education...and though I always acted like it bugged me and it was annoying I wanted to go...when I was in high school I thought that what I wanted to do was to go to U of I and get a degree in business and accounting...following in my grandpa's step even further since he is a CPA...but then I got my ACT scores back and I knew that U of I business school wanted a higher ACT then the one I got so I didn't even apply...so I went to Sauk Valley Community College because I got it for free and I knew that was a smart way to save money...and smart people make smart decisions like that...even though I didn't want to go to Sauk...but I took accounting classes and business classes...and still dreamed of going to U of I even though people kept telling me that the credit might not transfer because U of I likes to be picky...so I decided to give up on that dream and head to the desert instead because I was super sick of snow...which means I looked at really one school...that's all...and I just knew...that's where I'm going...Grand Canyon University...and I looked at the business school and loved it...all the while I am still taking my classes at Sauk...hating my classes even though I was excelling...but I continued in them because I figured it would get better when I went to a different school...until one day in my Accounting 2 class my teacher looked at the class and said "if you don't like what we are doing in here, get out of this field because you will be doing this the rest of your life."...and I thought what am I doing...I hate numbers...and I don't want to sit at a desk the rest of my life looking at numbers...and I stopped caring about that class but finished it out...and changed my major...note that when I stopped caring I was still helping other people understand what was going on in the class...I still understood everything I just stopped doing good work but it was too late to drop the class...

So I went to GCU as an English Lit major...and the rest is history...as they say...except all those little dreams I had about U of I were still in the back of my mind...like when I would go in the GCU library I would think about how U of I has a huge library...one of the best in the country...but mostly I just enjoyed being at GCU because I loved my majors classes...that why I always tell people if you aren't loving those classes or at least enjoying them...you might want to try something else because you might be in the wrong field for you...

Anywho when all this started back in high school I kept feeling like God was telling me to wait...and I have talked about this time in my life before...and about how I am horrible at waiting...especially in this case when I felt like I didn't know what I was waiting for...but I feel like a lot of time God has been like this is what you were waiting for...like when I would have a cool moment at GCU...or just learning to wait on him...along with trying to learn and follow his plan for me...a plan that suits me way better than my own...

But I kind of had one of those moments again the other day...because here I am...three of my dreams that I have had for a long time have been fulfilled...I'm a student at U of I...I am staying in the Union...which I've wanted to do for along time...weird dream I know...and I got to go in the library on the first day of classes...we even got to go into the stacks...which just happen to cover 10 floors in 2 buildings...crazy...and even better than that I have found a profession that fits me...or maybe I should say God found it for me...because he's got me figured out...

Part of the funny thing to me is how much my experiences at GCU are helping me even right now in this class...I don't find it hard to keep up with the material like the other students do because I already learned how to keep up with the fast pace and all the reading through my online classes...and I learned how to be involved in the class both while attending and posting online at GCU with the discussion question we used to tell our teachers we thought they should get rid of them...and I am not intimidated by writing a large paper in a few days because I had to write a paper or more a week in my online classes...it's fun for me to think about how God pieced this all together...

Even funnier for me is that I keep thinking now that I am here that I wish GCU had this master's program...because even though I do love it here and I love being able to say I am going to U of I...I miss GCU because even though I complained about it a lot at first...it really was a great fit for me...and I miss it a lot

I just sort of feel like my dreams are coming true right now...and I don't know what else I want to do with my life because obviously God is way better at figuring it out than me...I would love to head back to Arizona or somewhere else West to work...but I would also love to stay in the area and work in a small public library...so where God leads me...there I'll be...



Also I am going to post again on Sunday about some other things...like health stuff... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day