Just a little Wednesday post

Today I want to share a little something with you and it will probably be short.

A couple years ago I was really into the book "Captivating" By John and Stasi Eldredge. It is a book worth reading so is Stasi's new one called "Becoming Myself." Anyway in "Captiving" I think it was Stasi who says something along the lines of "God wants to show us (women) that we have an irreplaceable role to play in an incredible story." This has led me to look even closer at the women in the Bible over the years.

The other day I started reading Matthew and I noticed that I had underlined the names of the women in Christ's genealogy. First I must say it blows my mind that women were even listed because back then a genealogy consisted of just the men. There were no family trees reaching out all over the place like we do now, instead its a list of father to son to father to son. And yet a few women are listed in Christ's anyway.

Looking at it I noticed that all these women took risks and all these women received promises and none of them were prefect.

Tamar pretends to be prostitute and sleeps with her father-in-law to fulfill the promise of children.
Rahab was a prostitute who hid foreigners in her house to protect them and got the promise of a new life, a fresh start.
Ruth did the unheard up by risking her reputation so that she and Naomi could have the promise of family again. 
And Mary, she accepts the Lord's blessing on trust even though she knows the consequences of an unwed mother. Not only does she receive blessings but she helps bring God's promise to the whole world.

I cannot deny that I see parts of myself in these women. The despair of Tamar as life hands her horrible blows. The some what reckless attitude of Rahab who does what she wants even when town officials tell her to do otherwise. Ruth's dangerous boldness in getting what she wants and needs.

I think sometimes we need to look more at these things. These so called imperfections. Often I have been told to be loyal like Ruth and trusting like Mary and felt inadequate when I don't measure up. Those are the times when I need to remember that like all humans, biblical heroes have faults too, and yet God used them in mighty ways.

And that is when I need God to show me again that like Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, and Mary, I have a part to play in his story too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day