About that Surprise

I feel like I have all these different things to say but I am not sure where to start.

I guess first I will say when I was getting ready to head to mom and dad's a few days ago for the weekend I put together a playlist that I think is pretty rad. I know that might seem like a weird thing to start with or even to say. But I believe that music often speaks to a part of us that cannot as easily be reached by anything else. And this playlist I put together has not only been lifting my spirits but is speaking to a part of me that has been neglected. It's a playlist of a couple of albums I used to listen to all the time when I was originally trying to figure out who I was and they also helped me be ok with being different from those around me on a daily basis. Tapping back into that has felt a bit like a type of healing for my soul. I love that God does that and works in that way.

Overall this week has been up and down but I have really been trying harder than ever to see the positive and to stop the negative thoughts about everything that constantly barrage my mind. I have already noticed how doing that is helping me be more positive overall and how that alone is lifting my spirits. Instead of wallowing in the negative I am making the conscious decision to stop those thoughts and that leave so much more room for the positives to take root and flourish in my mind. In a way it has made me feel a bit like I can breathe again like I no longer have the weights of so many things dragging me down. That is always a good feeling.

Also because mom said people have been asking her about it and because I thought it would be published today I thought I would share about my surprise that I talk a few weeks ago about finding. Let me start a bit with the back story. So I was in the archives room at work, which is where I am quite often, and I was looking through these binders we have full of news clips, news releases, and newsletters. I was focused on the ones starting 2000 to present day because we are working on a time line for the anniversary celebration and we have a lot of information for older dates but not newer ones. So I was focused on the newsletters because I figured those circulated throughout the college staff and faculty so they will contain important events. While I was flipping through looking for things to highlight there was this very short little paragraph that I could have easily missed about the surprise. I flipped forward and there was no follow up so I did a quick search online to see if this person really did what the short paragraph said they did and yup there he was. So I went in to talk to my supervisor to tell her about it and she got excited. I told her I wanted to call this other lady at the school to verify that this was a student from our college so she called that lady right then. We talked to her on speaker phone and then this lady got excited because it was a student of ours. So this other lady spent most of the rest of the day I guess tacking down this guy to interview him. She couldn't find a number for him directly so she called the gym he trained at and talk to his trainer and got a number for our former student from him. Then she set up an interview and was getting ready to write the article. I thought it was going to be published in the magazine that came out this week but it was not. So I am now assuming that it will be published in one of the 50 articles in 50 weeks that is going to run in the newspaper.

Have I built up the suspense enough yet? 

So what I found is that a former student of ours went to the Olympics in 2000 when they were held in Sydney Australia. No one had any idea. And now obviously we all think that is pretty cool. And I can't wait to read what this guy said. So yeah. That's my surprise.

And since I mentioned it - we are having our 50th anniversary kick-off celebration this weekend and I am pretty excited. There is something about a project coming together that I love seeing. It feels really nice to have a collection I work on daily featured all around the college and seeing pieces of it go up made me feel really good about myself. While my supervisor and I were setting up people were already stopping to look and ask us questions and I loved that. Also my supervisor was being really great at showing me that I have value at my job that I do not always see. I am already feeling like my hard work has paid off and just have been really proud of myself. And after all the weeks and months of being so down on myself to see the good that I am doing feels pretty incredible.

May you see the good that you are doing everyday as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day