Ancestry/Heritage

So I decided to post early this week.
First because I am on vacation and who knows if I will want to post later in the week.
Second because I have an idea for my post. One that I am kind of excited about and I haven't felt excited to post in what feels like a while. But then again this week felt like a whole freaking month because I was ready for today when I could get off work and say "I don't have to go to work for a week!"

Ok so,

I got my ancestry DNA test results back this week. It was cool to see though not really super surprising. Mostly I feel like I thought, "hmm, that's weird." Because I know that on my dad's side of the family we have Native American blood/dna/whatever in us because an ancestor was a Native American. And that didn't show up on the test. I thought it was weird but then I thought "Whatever, I know that is true. Just because a test doesn't show it doesn't mean it is not true." And on a little side note I like to think my cheek bones reflect that truth.

Anyway I was thinking about that a little last night/this morning. And how I know that to be true and will not be swayed from it. I know that I am here today because of those who have gone before me no matter what their story is or how history writes it.

And I was thinking how I also want to be that unshakable and steadfast in who I am in Christ. I wish I could say that I always stand firm in believing that I am who he calls me. That I always remember that I am a daughter of the most High King. Sadly my doubts of that creep in faster and take over quicker. Sure I eventually remember but too often I let those doubts take root and hold of my life and actions.

I live in fear that I could lose that gift instead of living in the love and freedom that that gift offers. And really it's the best kind of gift because this gift says, "You belong. You are mine." And I gotta say that is pretty powerful. But in my fears I forget that power. I forget how nothing can separate me from the love of God and with that love comes a heritage more important and meaningful than any earthly one.

And so as I think about why or how a test could have missed something I hold so deeply I am also reminded that nothing can change who I am in Christ and the place I have with him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day