Meeting and more

Hey there,

So first things first I would like to say that even though I am not currently on a transplant list or on dialysis that does not mean I am not a sick. I am still sick. I will always be sick. That never changes because of how illness and medications and more have ravaged my body. Right now I am just relatively healthy. But because of everything that has happened to my body over the years sometimes it just does not work properly like the last few days. It's like the years catch up for a moment reminding my broken human body how frail and weak it is. And well it's no fun. And though I have theories as to why that happens the real cause is my never ending sickness. Which the doctors know about so there is no reason to call them. And for which there is no cure. And so I just deal with the rough days as well as I can. And yeah that sucks but that is also just life.

Ok on to other things -

I mentioned on my facebook page that good things had happened at my meeting with my boss and I would share here. I will do my best to keep it short but it is kind of a lot so I apologize if I go on and on.

I would say the first good thing to come out of my meeting with my boss is that I feel like I better understand the position that she is in and have more compassion for her in that. In a lot of cases her hands are tied so that she has the title of being a boss or supervisor but no real power behind it. Which I get would be very frustrating. Also I found out that some of the things that I have complained to people about before in the past really are things where she is sort of stuck. We talked for almost an hour and not only did I get my questions answered but I learned a lot about how our college runs and what that means for myself and her.

From asking my questions I found out that soon after I started she wanted to promote me and give me a raise but that is one of the place where her hands are tied. So she had been keeping track of the things I do that are not part of my job in the hopes of swaying those who make that decision. And she will be filling that petition with that information possibly soon. Part of that process is having who I often refer to as my boss boss (because he is a the boss over my boss) approve the petition. He also does not get the final say but she mentioned that when the lady I used to work out front with retired he told my boss repeatedly "we need to do whatever we can to keep her (me) around." Which was nice to hear because I have had like two conversations with him and he is one of two vice presidents at our college. Also with that petition my boss is going to submit that I have a title change at my request. I have found that it bugs me a lot to have the word "assistant" in my title when I have my masters. Though my boss did warn me that HR (who really calls the shots) has been denying a lot of those requests to try to help the college save money and that they can respond quickly or slowly so who knows how long that will take. She also mentioned that they can either say "yes" which would be great and then my job description would change to include everything I am doing or they can say "no" and then everything I am doing that is not in my current job description will be distributed between my boss and our librarian. So we will see what happens from that. All of that has me feeling tentatively hopefully.

Another good thing that came from talking to my boss is I am feeling more like I could do it again. Which feels like a big deal. Being honest with my boss about my questions or my wants and needs is something I am still learning to do. My boss has been encouraging me to do that more but as with everything it has been a learning and growing experience and I am sure it will continue to be.

And all of this has me trying to figure out what I want my future to look like. That has always been something hard for me to imagine with always being so sick but I am trying. Though being sick at the end of the week makes me again not want to imagine what the future might look like for me I am trying to not let it set me back and continue to dream about what I think would be nice to see in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day