Upcoming Events and Job Descriptions

Hey there,

First these few things -

1) Tuesday will be a pretty busy day for me. I have an upper endoscopy in the morning. It's the yearly look at my stomach to see what is going on with those polyps that love to develop there. When they looked a year ago they found nothing. This year I am hoping for the same because it may mean that I would stop going for a yearly look which would be great. But since I have had some nausea recently I am sort of hoping that they do something because that would give some reason to the nausea other than stress.

2) Tuesday will also be busy because I am closing on my house in the afternoon. I am excited and nervous. Mom will be here for that since she will be taking me to the endoscopy. Mom has not yet seen the house nor has dad so it will be fun for mom to see the house for the first time. I still get nervous about the decision I made to buy the house thinking maybe it was wrong but there's no going back now. And that is only part of the reason for the back and forth emotions.

3) Going to church here is still hard. I have been going to Sunday School as well. And it has been a process, I guess, and one I am not very good at. Even though I am getting to know people I still often feel a bit like an outsider. Mostly before I go and then I get there and every one is super nice. But it still takes a lot of courage and faith and reminders to myself that everything will be fine to go some days. For me the process of getting to know people is never easy. I feel like I don't even often know what to say to people that I have known my whole life so finding things to say to people I have only known a few months is even harder. But I am doing my best to hang in there because I know that it is worth it. That being part of the body is important.

Thanks for your continued prayer and support on these things.

Now on to something else. (Also this post is already feeling like it will be longer than a lot of mine normally are so if you decide to skip parts I get it.)

This week I read this book I heard about a few months ago from some friends -
And I've got to say first that I loved it. If you love libraries or librarians or if you've ever wanted to be a librarian or wondered what librarians do you should probably check out this book. As I was reading this book I was trying to think of how I would describe what I do as a librarian. My first thought was, "I have no idea how these wonderfully articulate people managed to shrink it down into a sound bite." Like most of the librarians in this book I wear a multitude of hats.

When I was hired I replaced two part time people. Then when some one in our library retired I took over some of her duties so now I often feel like and do work the job of three people. Since I work at the desk I am often the secretary to an extent. But at the front desk I am also the face of the library. A familiar face greeting students helping make them feel comfortable in the library. That comfort helps them feel like they can ask us questions. And we do receive all kind of questions. Questions not just about books but research, citations, directions, tech help, all sorts of things. Luckily when it comes to tech help some one from IT is usually at the tech help desk and I can direct them there since they have more knowledge than myself in that field. But I am also considered the night tech help so sometimes I have to figure out how to answer those questions. This all makes me sort secretary, sort of tech help, sort of reference librarian, sort of research librarian and that is still not all that I do.

I am also considered the college archivist and college historian. These are roles that I sort of feel into because of my love for organization and how I saw to solve some of the problems in archives. Basically all this means is that I take care of the history of the college. Sure what I actually do is a lot more involved than that but that is what it boils down too. This has opened up an interesting part of my job. See the other parts are mainly focused on the students and how they know that I can help them. But not many of our students at a community college are looking into the history of the college. Instead that is something that the staff does. And my taking over of this role and my knowledge in this field has not been something I have had to market. Instead others market it to other members of our college for me and not just the rest of our library staff. I have loved that now staff and faculty also see that I can help them in what they are looking for as well.

And I love that I am able to give each of these groups good experiences with the library. If I can give our library and librarians in general a good name then I think I am doing something right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day