Stages of Emotions

Work is slowly progressing on the house still. The work has been a bit slower recently because of the weather. Mom is praying that we can get the roof finished soon since it's Illinois and the weather is getting crazier. Also be praying for Mikey, Kenny, and Dad as they work at the house in some of this weather - they do stay at home when it's too cold but a lot of work needs to be done that they want to get done.

This week in my advice about a life of sickness I wanted to talk about the stages/phases you go through emotionally while dealing with a life of sickness.

Now I will say people who get sick later in life most likely experience these phases differently than I did because mine didn't occur when I got sick but as I grew up and began noticing the realities of my life.

Now I don't know that I could name each phase or the order they will come in but they often resemble the stages of grieving. I tend to think this is because you may be grieving the loss of the life you thought you would have. Sometimes grieving the end of what we have imagined or dreamed in our heads for our life can be difficult. That can look differently for everyone - maybe your sickness limits you from traveling and so your dreams of seeing the world may be dead. It could look like it has for me where you realize that every morning you will wake up having to take a handful of meds or knowing you have to plan your life around doctors appointments and surgeries and so you morn that you won't know a life apart from that.

These phases can be rough. Some of them can be harder than others. Everyone experiences these phases differently, sometimes phases repeat themselves as reality hits you over and over again.

Here's some things I  know for sure about these stages - Depression can hit really hard in all of these stages even in the acceptance phase. With all the phases sometimes all you can do is accept the challenges of everyday and force yourself out of bed. Another thing is accepting what God has given you and rely on God every day, every hour, every minute. Sometimes the small steps are actually big steps in the life of a sick person.

And in case you are wondering about the stages/phases - I will go more in depth into some of the phases in some of the posts over the next few weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day