The Importance of Hope

Some updates on the week - Different people have been in and out of the house again this week taking out the old furnace, putting in plumbing, and wiring the place up along with Dad, Kenny, and Mike being there. Insulation is installed in part of the house so we are a step closer to the drywall going up. I have part of my current project at the society done and I got to see 25 binders go on the shelf that were scrapbooks from a town historian. I moved the scrapbooks into the binders since a lot of the folders and binders that they were in were ripped, moldy, and generally in a bad condition. It felt really good to see them with new covers and then go on a shelf.

The plan is for this to be my last week of advice from a sick person but if anyone has questions I can post answers. Because I am forgetful I figured I would try do a recap of what I already posted about. First was finding a support group as we are not meant to go through life alone. That was followed by how the emotional stages of being/finding out you are sick are much like that of mourning as you mourn the life you thought you would have and that's normal. Third was when the "why me?" stage is taken over by "wow God!" Then I posted about some of the lessons that come from Job and there are a lot so I encourage you to read that book of the Bible. And last week I titled it "How I Tried to Deal" and it was about some things I did that were good and bad as I have dealt with being sick all my life.

This week I want to talk a little bit about hope - something that comes up a lot this time of the year as we celebrate Christmas.

I was going to define hope but I feel like Emily Dickinson describes hope better than Webster's definition -
"Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune - without the words, and never stops at all."

Hope and trust are often one in the same as we rest in the things we know to be true when chaos seems to reign around us.

Hope reminds us that good things are to come even when life doesn't feel good. Hope reminds us we are loved when we don't feel loved. And that is why hope and what we place our hope in is so important.

When I have been sick - Hope tells me that my trials are momentary.

Because hope is so important to us as we face life and it's hardships we must place our hope in things that are unshakeable no matter what. Placing our hope in good, lasting places not in destructible or temporary things helps ensure that we will not end up hopeless.

As for me I place my hope in God, in his promises, and in the hope that I will be with him someday in Heaven. I do this because I believe that my God never changes. Because God never changes he is unshakeable, unsinkable, indestructible, and everlasting.

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

As Christmas approaches I want to wish you a Merry Christmas. May you rest in the hope of the world and may that hope bring you joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day