U of I GSLIS Alumni

You would think that since I walked in my Master's graduation ceremony today I would have something to say. But I am not sure I do.

I will say that I am glad that I get to be part of a school that means so much to my grandpa. I love seeing him on campus because he loves being there and reminiscing about what was where, where he lived, and the jobs he worked to pay for school while going to school. Today he told us that one of his jobs was to hang fliers on bulletin boards and he got paid 90cents an hour to do that. Later he pointed out where he used to get coffee for a nickel and study. Though I may not have memories like that I love that he does and that he wants to share them with me. I am proud to be a part of his legacy.

I didn't cry during today's graduation like I did my GCU one but at my GCU one I was still so sick and doing dialysis. And yet I decided why not get my Master's. So I attended the U of I GSLIS (Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences). My teachers knew I was often on dialysis during class and I often had to miss on campus days because of how sick I was. But thinking of all that didn't make me emotional until now. I did get a little teary eyed toward the end of the ceremony. Everyone had walked across the stage and the dean had us stand before we could symbolically move our tassels from the right to the left. And even though I have been done since August it felt significant to hear the dean calls us alumni. Mom said she teared up then and so did my grandpa.

It's odd how words spoken have that power over us. I have been proud to be a librarian but unsure about my personal feelings when it comes to U of I. But for the first time since I started this program I felt proud to be not just an alumni of GSLIS but of U of I. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day