Remembering What is Important

I haven't made a decision yet on what to do with my blog - so no decision currently means I will keep posting even if I am not really sure what I should post about.

This weekend as it has gotten colder I was reminded about how one of my least favorite things about being sick is having to do early morning blood tests when it's cold out. I mean blood tests already suck then add in all the scar tissue that has built up in my arms making needles going in them hurt more then add in early mornings then add in cold. That all makes it very hard to find motivation to do them at all. But I did this weekend when it was super windy. Also I say one of my least favorite because there are a lot of things I don't like about being sick.

Something interesting that happened this week that I am still trying to wrap my head around is this - a stranger told me that I deserved a raise. Well sort of a stranger. I have been talking to an appraiser about a collection we recently received. Because we had chatted so many times before he was asking me about what I did at the library. After we talked about that a little he mentioned how I will now be the go to person for archives and appraisals at the college and how I deserve a raise. I still feel a bit taken aback by this. Guys it feels really good when people notice how hard you work. And I don't say this to brag I say this because I often don't know how to toot my own horn. So when other people do I sometimes feel like I don't know if I should take them seriously or not. This weekend reflecting on what this person said I am trying to take it seriously in the sense of having more confidence in myself and my work.

In other news - this week I have been trying even harder than last to not get sucked into the frenzy and fear that still seems to be taking over many according to my social media feeds. And so I have been playing the same five songs on repeat whenever I start to feel myself losing focus on what is important.

Not only is it paramount for me to remember that God is most important it is also essential that I remember that individual people are important. I don't want to loose sight of that nor do I want to confuse people with who they truly are and who I think they might be as I see their social media feeds. It can be easy to get swept up into that trap and become frustrated with myself and others.

And so this week I have had to tell myself multiple times to get off social media. As I do I have to reset my focus time and time again remembering that I am not in control (thank goodness) and only God can change people. And no matter what I may believe is best he actually knows and does what is best.

My job in all of that is to love like he does - without judgement or condition.





If you are curious here's those five songs -

On a totally different and extra note - we have sung Great are You Lord at camp multiple times at camp but after coming home from BOND I could not remember the title of the song and could not find it on my iPod. It's funny how that happens sometimes - the song you want to hear so badly you can't think of how it goes at all. Anyway this song also has a bit of a new importance to me because at camp I always sing it with an echo - It's your breath (it's your breath) in our lungs (in our lungs) etc. I have never heard it recorded that way and have never understood why when it is set up perfectly for that. Anyway at BOND I noticed that now the cabiners sing this song with the echo and I was a bit floored. First because I didn't realize how they listened to/followed what I did in that way. Second because it is nice to know a girl will be remembered in a small way even if it's just for a little bit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day