Sunshine Baby

It's been a long but satisfying day.

We went out the the cabin for my nephew's birthday party. And it was my first time in a long time really being outside for a long period of time. I walked all over the place. Climbed on a drain from the pond that leads to a creek. Walked along corn fields and a gravel road. Took out the "tractor" which is an old mower. And got to see some pelicans on the pond.

It was also the first time in a long time that I have really taken out my camera. I took more than 500 pictures today. I can't remember the last time I did that. And admittedly more of them are of nature than of people. I like shooting nature much more. I have joked to myself before that I would rather work for "National Geographic" taking pictures than any other magazine but I don't actually want to take pictures for a living. I say that just to let you know I am more of a sweeping nature shot girl. Those to me are breath taking.

I have to say I loved today. After being sick for so long and not being able to be outside I forgot how much I love to trek through the tall prairie grass and get mud on my shoes. I forgot how much I love being a sunshine baby and soaking up all those rays.

It also feels good that my legs are sore. It makes me feel like I covered a lot of ground. Which is also something I haven't done in a long time. These legs that are still used to being sick still have a lot of muscle to build back up. 

Another thing I loved about today was that I got to see Josie. I loved hearing her ideas about camp. And I love watching girls that I have counseled grow up and start taking on leadership roles. It is one of my favorite things. I am such a proud parent when it comes to those girls. I love watching them succeed and grow and find such beautiful and adventurous paths for their lives. And I get so encouraged when I hear about the things they loved from camp and still talk about. As Josie said today her and Carrie were talking about "blue berry pies" the other day which was our cabin's code word for its time for a dance party.

But out of everything today - I love feeling like I am present in my own life again. I no longer feel like a by-stander in my own story. I love feeling like I am no longer waiting to feel good but I do feel good. And I get to rediscover all the things I enjoy doing. And rediscovering those things makes me want to try more things and experience more of life.

And that is a seemingly never ending cycle that I am glad to be in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day