SNL 40th

Not much happened this week so I have this to say instead...

I have said it before - I love to laugh.

So I am pretty excited for tonight and the SNL 40th special. (Yes I am posting about this.)

I have been watching the show and movies that cast members have been in for years. I'm glad I have parents who weren't super strict about what I watched - at least I never felt they were.

For me watching SNL isn't just about the show but the memories. Memories like all the times we've quoted Gilda Radner around the house by saying "oh, nevermind" when we misheard something. Or trying to do the Two Wild and Crazy Guys walk. Or staying up with late with Kenny when he lived with us for a summer to watch SNL with him. Along with how every time a new phone book comes we go into Steve Martin mode and yell "The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!" (I know he wasn't a cast member but he makes me think of SNL since he has been guest hosting since the beginning.) Or I think about watching "Lunch Lady (Sloppy Joe)" for the first time and being blown away by Chris Farley and Adam Sandler. And how could I forget Celebrity Jeopardy with Will Farrell as Alex Trebek - we often think of those sketches in our house (Well one particular sketch since when my nephew Jeremiah was born I started calling him Turd Ferguson based on the Burt Reynolds" one and it stuck.) Obviously I could go on and on because in forty years there have been a lot of incredible sketches and I know I am forgetting some of my favorites. But these are memories that I hold dear not just for the sketches but the people I got to be with and laugh with.

But SNL is not just about the sketches but also about how they could talk about the world and to the world. I have always enjoyed Weekend Update and the often sarcastic take they can have on the news of the week. To be able to make such bold statements while also being funny takes skill that I appreciate.

And there have been many people on the show that have inspired me - Gilda Radner, Rachel Dratch, Molly Shannon, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, Bill Murray, Chris Farley, Will Farrell, Jimmy Fallon, Martin Short, John Belushi, and more.

Though some of them have met a sad end they knew how to bring laughter to the world and that is a beautiful gift that I am looking forward to celebrating tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day