Dream Big

When I watch Tangled I like to think that the thug voiced by Brad Garrett is talking directly to me when he says "Go, live your dreams."...that's one of my favorite scenes in the movie (I also like how she ends the movie with short brown hair...but that's because I have always wanted a Disney princess to have short hair)...even though I picture the thug telling me to go live my dreams...I also imagine in this scenario I might be Flynn and that when said thug hears my dreams he would turn to me and say that my dream sucks...

Too often my dreams are small and could be easily accomplished...sometimes they even come across as half-hearted requests....like I am asking for someone to get me a greasy nasty burger from McDonald's...(which would never happen because I am super picky about my burgers...but it was the best illustration I could come up with)...because usually when I think something would be sweet...like a dream I always tac on the "but whatever happens I'll be happy" like I've already resigned myself to it not happening....so then my dreams become smaller and as simple as not ending up with a career working at the Wendy's drive thru window...

I can't deny that I am one of those people that is scared of disappointment...so instead of getting all worked up over a dream I decide that it's better not to dream big because it won't happen anyway...in my mind I tell myself that I am saving myself from the heartache of disappointment...when the reality is that I am disappointing myself in the beginning and squelching and dreams that I did have...which ends up upsetting me even more...

So just like my "Dear future self..." telling myself to remember that good things do happen to me...here I am saying to my future self that it's ok to dream big...it actually feels dang good to dream big...so think of crazy thing you want to do even if you think they will never happen...so what...it's a dream...it's anything you want...and if it doesn't happen that's ok to because living out those dreams does not define your life...so many other more important things do...

And it's ok too if those dreams don't match up with others people's dreams about you...they are your dreams and you can dream whatever you want...that's the beauty of dreams...

So if I want to live in Illinois or Arizona or where ever...that can be my dream...and if I only want to work at a public library and not some fancy museum...great...and if I really do want to travel the world and see nerdy historical sites...that's a great dream too...because it's my dream...and it fits me...and that in itself is a good dream...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

It’s been a while

After Moving Day